What is Electoral Commission?
An Electoral Commission or Electoral Body is an independent body set up by government of any given country and charge with the the responsibility of conducting election, announcement election result, and see to smooth running of any political process.
FUNCTIONS OF ELECTORAL COMMISSION
WHAT ARE THE FUNCTIONS OF ELECTORAL COMMISSION
In conclusion, these different electoral bodies were typically charged with functions such as;
- registration of political parties,
- registration of eligible voters,
- routine revision of Voters’ Register,
- political education,
- screening of candidates, and
- conducting of elections with qualities of transparency and impartiality.
Their roles further include
- counting of votes, the
- announcement of results,
- provision of ballot boxes and relevant election materials,
- registration of candidates,
- supervision of voting activities,
- declaration of winners in
- election exercises as well as the issuance
- and withdrawal of Certificates of Return, among other functions as permissible by the Constitution.